The Australian Chamber works to reduce the incidence and cost of workplace injuries and diseases. This starts with good work health and safety (WHS) practices.
A workers' compensation system must provide injured workers with fair and reasonable financial and other support while remaining sustainable, achievable and affordable.
The principles guiding our approach to workers' compensation are:
- Clear and consistent processes for collaboration and consultation between key parties.
- Encourage and facilitate effective and sustainable return-to-work programs.
- A stable and robust system that relies on evidence-based claims management with fair, reasonable and balanced liability assessment.
- Fairness, good design and economic sustainability.
- Predictable and economically sustainable premiums.
- Alignment of specific elements to assist with consistency across jurisdictions.
- Fair support for significant permanent impairment.
Safe Work Australia leads the development of national policy to improve WHS and workers’ compensation arrangements across Australia. The Australian Chamber and its member network are involved.